Friday, June 23, 2017

Working in the Veterinary Field: Part 2


After posting my part one of working in the veterinary field, i realized how dark and kinda depressing it was. It wasn't exactly what i wanted the post to be to begin with, but it was still a good post, and gave an insight on the not so great stuff.

What i really wanted to talk about, was the in between. I wanted to give some sort of an insight to people who don't have an idea or maybe are intrigued by the field. This post may be a bit more scrambled than usual, but ill try to make as much sense as i can. 

So in my last post i kinda described what my role is, and a general idea as to what a day consists of. But i wanted to fill in any gaps, and try and get some feedback on what everyone wants to know more of. Ill be happy to include more posts on dog and cat related things that might be a little more intriguing. First i gotta say that one of the best parts of my job, is when you have a great client and patient. Honestly, there is nothing better then when we have a good relationship with a client and their dog or cat. When you get to know clients well enough, you become friends with them. Of course there is still a professional relationship but i think in my own view, there isn't not a better feeling.

Where i became intrigued wasn't necessarily in the client interaction, but more in the patient experience-being able to actually work with cats and dogs. I am still learning, and every day have more questions for the technicians and doctors. Its simply interesting listening to the doctors with their foreign doctor language, and watching them stare at xrays, and try to figure a case out. I find it kinda rewarding when i can actually decipher what they are saying! As a client, or someone not in the field, doesn't get to experience this. They don't get to see the chaos of the treatment area, or how the doctor comes to a diagnosis. They also probably wouldn't understand all the mumbo jumbo medical talk or how much effort is put into their pet. They simply get the more simpler version, in a nutshell that's easy to understand in the end. But this is why i'm creating this post, so that everyone can get an insight!

Another part of working at an animal hospital is being able to see the many surgeries. Surgeries from spays and dental extractions, to exploratory and ACL repairs. There is nothing i like more than being able to watch the surgeon do his/her thing in the OR. Again, i never would have thought i would be in the position i'm in, and actually like the bloody, gory stuff. Being able to learn how an animal is getting treated and why is important to me. I want to know why the surgeon is breaking that bone, or how you could pull out all the organs in a dog then put them back in and have the dog be totally normal after. To be able to see a dog awake and normal, then proceed with anesthesia, and see the dog opened up on the table is a bit weird- to then have them wake up after and be normal and recovering is amazing to me. 
I didn't want to make this post super long, because i wasn't sure what to include in this post. Id love feedback as to what people would like to know. I have only had roughly a couple years experience, and i am still in school but id love to talk more about things I've seen, or even things people might want to know more about specifically.

Ill end this post with this- i love what i do, and love the people i work with. Being able to have the opportunity to work for an animal hospital, and get the opportunities that the doctors and techs give me is awesome. There is nothing better than working with animals!


6 comments

  1. I am so happy you found your happy place , there is nothing more rewarding than knowing you are making a difference in someone's life whether an animal or pepple.Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's incredible about taking all the organs out and putting them back in. Crazy stuff, I'm sure! I used to volunteer at a few animals hospitals as a kid and let me tell you, it was one of the most unforgettable experiences of my lifetime. Mainly because I was so young, 10 years at the time and seeing families have to watch their dog put down was beyond sad. So I realized I couldn't go into the field but have so much appreciation for people that do. So thank you for all you do for these animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you love what you do. It makes it easier to go to work when you enjoy your dog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dog was supposed to read job* lol but, how appropriate haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha thats totally appropriate. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is so interesting!! I've never really heard much from a Vet's perspective.

    ReplyDelete